This is the first edition of the parent newsletter, "Raider's Digest", for the 2015-2016 School Year. This edition has information on back-to-school items and dates of events. We are very excited to start the year. Please take a moment to read through the newsletter. You can access the newsletter by clicking HERE.
School Supplies for 2015-2016
Supply list for the 2015-16 school year now available!
Important Dates for 2015-2016 School Year
1. RMS Parent BootCamp for New Students is set for August 27, 2015 from 5:30 – 7:30 PM.
~ RMS Parent “Bootcamp” is designed for parents new to the Reeves community to help ease the transition to being a parent of Reeves student. This is designed for incoming 6th grade parents and/or parents new to Reeves. You will leave the program with a better understanding of the tools, programs and effective strategies to help your student succeed in middle school. You will also have a chance to meet other parents and start forming connections that will grow over the next three years and possibly longer. There will be breakout sessions that cover topics such as technology tools that help you monitor and keep up with your students progress at Reeves, how to be involved at Reeves, how to help your student be successful at Reeves, PTA information, among many others. This is intended for parents only, as room will be limited. Opening Session starts at 5:30 pm, but doors will open at 5:00 pm for parents to meet with representatives from the transportation department.
2. RMS Orientation Day is set for September 1, 2015 from 2-7:00 PM.
~ Get pictures taken in the library, purchase RMS items from the student store, tour the building, and deposit money in your lunch account. Check the class list for 1st period classes. This is where students will report the first day of school for their schedule. Visit tables to learn about our PTA, Skyward- Parent Access, Olympia Parks & Rec, Girls Circle, and other programs. There will be a brief 5-10 minute presentation in the gym at 6:30 PM followed by an ice cream social in the cafeteria starting at 6:35 PM . The orientation day ends at 7 PM. Schedule Below:
2:00-3:30 8th graders*
3:30-5:00 7th graders*
5:00-6:20 6th graders*
6:25-6:35 New Student Orientation in Gym
6:35-7:00 Ice Cream Social in Cafeteria
3. School starts on September 9, 2015.
~ Report to 1st period to get the student schedule for 1st quarter. We spend the first 8 days of school orienting our students to our planners, school rules, emergency drills, locker practice, and Opportunity Time procedures during a 25 minute period set aside each day for these activities.
4. Curriculum Night is tentatively set for September 22, 2015 from 6-7:30 PM.
~ Follow your students schedule and hear from each of your child’s teachers about the curriculum being taught in each class.
Interested in WA's Learning Standards? Learn More Aug. 4 Noon to 1 p.m.
The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and Ready Washington invite you to join a telephone town hall meeting about Washington’s K-12 learning standards and assessments. This is your opportunity to learn more and ask any questions you may have about learning standards and assessments in our state.
Ingersoll Stadium Closed for Turf Replacement
Ingersoll Stadium is closed through late August for installation of new field turf. During the closure there is no public access to Ingersoll, including key card access, due to the work that is ongoing across the entire turf area and staging of the work in the area along the track. The new turf will replace an 11-year-old surface that has exceeded its eight-year life span. Thanks to everyone for their patience as the district undertakes this important safety project!
2015-16 School Calendar Finalized
The 2015-16 school year calendar has been finalized. Here are some of the significant changes:
- A recent survey showed elementary and middle school families preferred early releases to late starts for teacher collaboration time. The new calendar honors that request by ending late starts and moving to early releases for elementary and middle schools.
- There will be fewer of these early releases than there were late starts this year. This will present fewer disruptions to learning time and provide larger time blocks for teacher collaboration in elementary and middle schools.
- There will be more consistency in that all early releases will be a half day.
- High schools will not have early releases except for Friday, Nov. 13, Friday, Jan. 29 and Friday, June 17 (for grading).
- The spring elementary conference week has been moved to be right before spring break, much like our neighboring districts.
Click the link below to view the 2015-16 calendar.
- Monday, August 3
- School Board Meeting
- Monday, August 17
- School Board Meeting
- Tuesday, September 8
- Board Meeting
- Monday, September 14
- Board Study Session
- Monday, September 21
- Board Meeting